Friday, August 30, 2013

Metal Wafer Dies Organization Project

I don't know how many die sets I have, and I really don't care.  I just want more!  I mainly own Spellbinder dies, but I also own QuicKutz/Lifestyle crafts dies, Memory Box dies, and Sizzix dies.  Many Sizzix dies need a separate organization method (since they aren't really wafer dies), so this post ignores those.  I'll be concentrating on organizing my metal wafer dies.

All I want to do is organize them so a) I don't re-purchase a set I already have, and b) be able to easily find what I own in one place.  They are currently in individual zip bags with labels on them or still in their original clamshell packaging, but it is very difficult to see what I have, and they are ALL OVER the place in different containers.  The various sizes (I have Grand dies that are large) made it difficult to store in one place.  

After contemplating different organization methods (purchased or self-created), I developed my own.  I have way too many dies to purchase pre-made storage sets that it would cost too much because I'd have to purchase multiples, and would defeat the purpose of keeping them in one place.  Also, none of them satisfied my criteria.  I also saw some folks who organized their dies using zip bags, folders, etc.  None of them would work.  I have too many or it would cost too much.

So here's what I eventually came up with:  A file box with hanging folders, each holding 8.5"x11" page protector sheets filled with a magnetic sheet holding multiple sets of dies.  That was actually harder to write than just plain showing you what it looks like, so here it is:
File box with completed sheet protectors filled with dies




        
             Hutch playing "Vanna" with the file box :-)












 
Completed sheet protectors, front and back

On the front of the cardstock sheet, I adhered a picture of the die set that is stored.  On the back of the cardstock sheet, I adhered magnetic strips or a solid magnetic sheet (depending on the dies stored).  After putting the dies on the magnetic side, I slipped the cardstock into the protectors.  Voila!  A system that will store my dies, won't scatter them in case they get jarred, and easy to flip through.  I will describe the steps I took to create my system.

Firstly, I re-purposed the file box from previous bills organization projects (that are finally getting under control, too).  I believe I purchased the unit from The Container Store.  I also already owned the hanging file folders.  I can fit 4 into the box when they are fully opened (bottom lined with chipboard for sturdiness).   I also already owned the 8.5"x11" page protectors from the old days when scrapbooking was in it's infancy and 12"x12" sized sheets was not even a thought.  Yes, I've been paper crafting for THAT long *sigh*!  I also have a lot of 8.5"x11" sheets of cardstock of various colors that I used for backing. 

So the only purchase I needed to make for this storage project was the adhesive-backed magnetic sheets.  I did a lot of research on these:  I didn't want them to be very heavy and bulky, but I also needed them to be strong enough to sturdily hold the dies.  I found some 8.5"x11" sheets at Amazon.com.  A set of 10 sheets for $26, free shipping.  Unfortunately, the company is currently out of stock.  I will update this post with a link if they ever come back into stock because I really like the weight and strength of these magnetic sheets.  I purchased 20 sheets to start with, and unfortunately, will probably need more...  I'm hoping they come back in stock soon.  UPDATE:  They are now currently in stock (09/02/13) and here is the link to the item:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SOV4NQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 


 
In order to "stretch" the use of each magnetic sheet, I cut most sheets into four 2"x8.5" strips and two 1.5"x8.5" strips.  I kept a few full sheets in case I needed them for storing tiny dies.  I had the option of cutting them later.





Three 2" strips and two 1.5" strips laid out on the back of cardstock



      

After I had all of my strips cut, I took a sheet of cardstock and some strips.  Depending upon the dies I was storing, I used either four 2" strips and one 1.5" strip (closer together), or three 2" strips and two 1.5" strips (a little farther apart).  I then lay them out on the cardstock before adhering. 




Adhering the magnetic strips, and showing the overhang



When I had them laid out the way I wanted, I then adhered each strip to the cardstock.  I folded back the top of the backing, stuck that part down exactly where I wanted the entire strip to go, then removed the rest of the backing to adhere the whole strip down.  Repeat for each strip.  The size of the magnetic sheets were about 1/8" larger than the cardstock, so I left the overhang on one side of the cardstock to help hold down the pictures of the dies.




Arranging the dies to fit on the sheet

 

I roughly organized my dies by categories.  I then place the dies on the sheet.  I try to get as many sets on a sheet as possible by creatively arranging them, but being careful to not go over the edges.  I never break up a set.  I do have many sheets of some categories (Winter/Christmas, for example), and some sheets are not full, knowing I will be adding to my collection!






Here is the completed sheet of dies.  This was my flourish sheet set.  I do try to keep the dies in each set as close to each other as possible, but I'm not wedded to that notion.









I then carefully flip the sheet with the dies over and adhere the pictures from the packaging to the front of the sheet.  As much as possible, I retain the upc code, the item number and title of the set.  If they are part of a special collection or by a designer, I add that information as well.  However, the most important part is the picture.









 
Using my old Dymo Letra Tag maker, I created identifying tabs for the top of the page protector (actually, the side with the holes).  I made tabs with the names of every set, and also noted what type of Spellbinder they were (Grand, Shapeabilities, Nestabilities, Borderabilities, etc.).  These then get adhered to the top (white portion) of the sheet protector.
Completed sheet, in the sheet protector, front side with identification tabs
Magnet side, filled with dies
These completed sheets are then filed in the file box, by categories.



I have some old plastic dividers from 14"x14" ArtBin Super Storage Satchels that I never used.  I cut those down to size to subdivide each hanging folder and create stability for the magnetic sheet sets.  I used sticky notes labels (green) to easily identify sheets that still have room to add more dies.




That's it!  It takes about 45 minutes to complete each sheet, but the time it takes now is well worth it when I am able to find the die I need.  I currently have completed over 20 sheets, but I still have most of my Nestabilities Labels dies to organize, as well as a few more Shapeabilities dies.  I haven't even gotten to the other brands dies yet!  So this project will take many more days to complete, but I'm excited by what I have so far.  It really looks great!  Btw, the file box is already quite heavy with the 20+ sheets of dies.  I'm hoping it will be strong enough to hold many more.

Eventually, I also plan to scan each completed picture sheet, print them, and put them in a slim folder in the front of the file box so I can quickly view my dies.  I will also take the scanned pics and put them in an online folder so I can access them with my phone on the road.  Hopefully, I'll be able to see at a glance what I own when I shop for more dies :-D  No more duplicates!

If you've made it this far, good on ye, mate!  I hope that means you understand my crazy organizational system...  and may want to duplicate it.  Or make it better!  If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.  I'm still fussing with this.  If I make any changes, I'll be sure to post a follow-up.

G'night for now...
-Dayle

No comments:

Post a Comment